Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For Lent

And in these days of Lent they shall each receive a book from the library, which they shall read straight through from the beginning. These books are to be given out at the beginning of Lent.
The Rule of St. Benedict, Chapter 48

Well, while I have not finalized my choice on what to give up for Lent (I think it will be coffee again -- always a challenge) I do know what book I will try to work through. I think it's time to work straigt through Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I have picked at this one on and off over the years, and backed off from it every time. It's more than a little challenging, in fact so forthright it's frightening. But with some of the things I am considering these days, I don't think I can put it off any longer. You can look forward to comments and excerpts in this space as Lent progresses. From Chapter 49 of the Rule, On the Observance of Lent:
During these days, therefore,
let us increase somewhat the usual burden of our service,
as by private prayers and by abstinence in food and drink.
Thus everyone of his own will may offer God
"with joy of the Holy Spirit" (1 Thess. 1:6)
something above the measure required of him.
From his body, that is
he may withold some food, drink, sleep, talking and jesting;
and with the joy of spiritual desire
he may look forward to holy Easter.
I wish you all a holy Lent.

No comments: